With the hot summer days behind us and freezing temperatures ahead, Winnipeggers have turned off their central air and turned on their furnaces. But, before the deep cold and blowing snow arrive, it’s a good idea to think about preparing your outdoor air conditioning unit for winter. Here are some air conditioner winter maintenance tips so your unit will be protected, ready and working when summer returns.
- Shut it Down – Find the air conditioning circuit near your unit (it usually has a plastic or metal lid covering the circuit) and flip the switch to off. It’s unlikely that there will be any electrical problems over the winter, but it is best to keep your unit off.
- Clean it Out – Remove any leaves, small branches and grass from the condensing coils. It’s also a good idea to clear long grass and debris from the perimeter.
- Clear it Up – If your air conditioning unit is directly beside a pathway, make sure you take precautions to ensure no salt comes in contact with it. Also, check the eavestroughs directly above it to make sure they are not damaged, as this can cause water to drip onto your air conditioning unit when the weather starts to warm up.
- Cover it up (or not) – Our air conditioners are built to withstand even the harsh conditions of a Winnipeg winter. However, if you decide to cover your unit, purchase a cover made from a breathable material to prevent excessive moisture from building up.
- Call us – The best way to protect your air conditioning unit from Winnipeg’s harsh winter elements is to have it serviced by a professional. Reliable Heating & Air Conditioning can inspect your unit, make sure it is free from dust and debris and flag any problems. By addressing any issues sooner, we will make sure your central air is ready for summer, and won’t require any major air conditioning repairs further down the road. And, while we’re at it, we can inspect your furnace to make sure you’ll be warm all winter.
It’s easy to forget about your air conditioner when it’s buried under snow at the side of the house. But by taking a few simple steps, you can avoid high cost air conditioning repairs in the future. And, no matter which model of air conditioner you have, Reliable Heating and Air Conditioning can help. We are able to service your appliance, regardless of make, model and age. To learn more about Reliable’s air conditioning and furnace repair and maintenance services, call us today at 204-888-6663 or fill out our online contact form.